If you’re buying a new pair of sports shoes in a store, you should have no issue finding a pair that fits since you can just try them on and see how they feel.
However, when buying online, things can be more problematic because you just have to guess the size you think matches your feet and hope for the best – and if you guess wrong, you have to go through the hassle of returning them.
Adidas has long been one of the world’s most renowned sports footwear brands, and if you’re thinking of buying a pair, you’re probably wondering about which size to go for. So to help, in this post, we answer the question, do Adidas run big or small?
Why is this question important?
Before we start, let’s think about why we even need to ask this question – because after all, shoe sizes are standard, right?
Well, not exactly.
Different countries use different sizing systems, so a US men’s size 10 is a British size 9 or a European size 42 – but in theory, all US 10, British 9 or European 42 shoes should be the same.
However, this system has not been fully standardized, so there is a slight variation between shoe manufacturers – and some companies produce shoes that tend to “run big” (they are bigger than average) while others make shoes that “run small” (smaller than average).
To further complicate matters, shoe sizes for men and women don’t use the same system, so a women’s 42 in Europe is a British 9 but a US 11.
What all this means is, you can’t just rely on knowing your shoe size because it can vary depending on the company making the shoe – and sometimes, it can even vary between shoes produced by the same manufacturer.
Guidelines for sizing Adidas shoes
When it comes to Adidas, most people agree that that the company’s shoes tend to run true –or in other words, the stated sizes are average and can be trusted.
This means that if you take a size 10, you are probably best off going for a 10 – because that will give you the most chance of receiving a shoe that fits.
However, there are a few exceptions.
- Adidas Ultraboost 1.0 and 2.0 shoes are known to be slightly narrower than most Adidas models, so the best advice if you have wide feet is to go for half a size above what you normally buy. For Ultraboost 3.0, on the other hand, just order your regular size.
- Cloudfoam shoes run big for women, so opt for a half size smaller than normal: if you usually wear 8, choose a 7 ½.
- Advantage shoes also tend to run slightly big due to the thinner upper material, so it’s best to choose half a size below what you normally buy.
Finally, it’s worth noting that Adidas shoes tend to be slightly wider than average, so be careful about ordering shoes that are too big or you may find you end up with way too much space on either side of your foot.
However, this means Adidas is a good choice for wide-footed people.
How to measure feet for Adidas
If the method above sounds like it leaves too much to chance, there is a better option – you can measure your feet accurately before buying. Then, once you know the exact length of your feet, you can refer to the table on the Adidas website to find the perfect size.
Here’s how to do it:
- Place a piece of paper on the floor so it is touching the wall and then place your foot on it so your heel also touches the wall. Don’t press your heel too hard against the wall – it should just touch the wall lightly. When you take the measurement, remember to put on the sports socks you will usually be wearing with the shoes.
- Mark on the paper the end of your longest toe. Bear in mind this could be your big toe or your second toe. You will probably find it easier if you ask someone to help you with this. You can then measure the distance from the wall to the end of your longest toe on the paper.
- Repeat for your other foot – remember, most people’s feet are slightly different sizes, so you’ll need to know the size of both feet before choosing the correct shoes.
When you know the measurements of both feet, you can then refer to Adidas’ sizing guide. If your feet aren’t the same size, it’s better to choose a shoe that fits your larger foot. This way, your smaller foot may have a little extra space, but your larger foot won’t be too cramped.
Some extra tips to help you find the perfect shoes
To finish, here are a few extra tips that will help you find the perfect-sized shoes for your feet.
Measure your feet or go to the shoe store at the end of the day
Because our feet can swell and change size throughout the day as we walk around, when possible, you should always measure your feet or buy shoes towards the end of the day. This way, the shoes you buy will be big enough for your feet when they are at their largest.
Don’t just buy the same size as the shoes you are wearing
Just because a pair of shoes you are wearing seems to fit well, it doesn’t mean this is necessarily the best size to go for.
As we have seen, sizes vary between companies, and shoes become stretched (and so bigger) through use.
Your feet can also change size due to pregnancy or medical conditions like diabetes, so for all these reasons, it’s best to measure your feet again whenever you need to buy new shoes.
Buy shoes for kids to grow into
Remember that children grow fast – and that includes their feet too. This means you should always buy shoes that are a little bit too big for children’s feet, or they will quickly become too small as the child’s feet grow.
If children wear shoes that are too small while their feet are still growing, it can cause their toes to become permanently deformed – so it’s best to buy shoes that can accommodate their feet as they grow.
Measure your feet carefully for the perfect fit
While the best option is always to go to a store to try shoes on before buying, this is not always possible, so sometimes you just have to make the best guess.
With Adidas, most of their range runs true, so, other than with the exceptions we mentioned, your best option is just to choose your regular shoe size.
However, to be even more certain that the shoes you are ordering are going to fit your feet, take an accurate measurement first – then, by comparing it with Adidas’ size chart, you can easily work out which shoe size will be right for your feet.