If you regularly experience pain and inflammation in your feet, there could be a chance that you are suffering from a condition called metatarsalgia, but what does this mean? In this short article, we are going to explain the condition metatarsalgia and how wearing the correct shoes can make the condition much more easy to manage.
What Is Metatarsalgia?
In the foot, you will find the metatarsal bones, of which there are five. These five long bones are located between the tarsals and the phalanges and they are what give the feet their arches,
The joint called the metatarsal head, or more commonly the ‘ball’ of the foot can sometimes become inflamed and this is the main symptom of metatarsalgia. The pain from this condition can be sharp or aching or in some cases can cause a burning pain.
The condition is not serious but it can cause problems in your day to day activities because the pain can stop you from taking part in things such as sports, walking or other things which require you to spend a lot of time on your feet.
How Is Metatarsalgia Caused?
The condition is often caused by activities which cause stress to the foot, especially high impact activities often seen in sports. The type of shoes that you wear can also cause metatarsalgia, this is particularly relevant if you are wearing shoes that do not fit correctly. You may also suffer if you are overweight and there is a lot of pressure on the feet.
How Can Wearing The Right Shoes Help?
There are a variety of treatments for this condition but one of the most effective is simply wearing the correct shoes and this can bring benefits in many ways. Let’s take a look at some of these
- The right shoes can give better support to the feet.
- Pain is dramatically lessened through wearing correct footwear.
- Shoes with shock absorbing soles can limit trauma to the feet.
- Wearing properly fitting footwear can provide you with the ability to be able to take part in activities that you otherwise wouldn’t be able to due to the pain.
- If you have problems with metatarsalgia because of the natural arch of your foot, shoes with an arch support can help to alleviate this problem.
What to look for?
It’s crucial to have some knowledge about what you need to look for when purchasing shoes to alleviate foot pain. You can always purchase the shoes we recommend, but if you want to find a pair by yourself, then this guide will help.
1) Look for wider sole shoes The reason why you need to look for shoes with wide soles is that they help you to distribute your weight evenly. When people wear narrow sole shoes, they feel tight and not comfortable. The width of the sole is dependent on how wide your feet are, so look for shoes that will allow you to spread your weight correctly.
2) Incredible cushioning Look for shoes that have amazing cushioning all around, as this will help you to feel comfortable and absorb pressure properly. If you get shoes with a hard sole and no cushioning inside, you will be extremely uncomfortable standing and might get painful after a couple of hours. Make sure you look for cushioning inside and out.
3) Needs grip Even though these shoes aren’t meant for running or sports, you need to make sure that the shoes have a fantastic grip for the artificial floors which most people will be standing on. The primary thing to look for is the outsole, make sure it has excellent grip.
4) Excellent ankle support Look for shoes that have fantastic ankle support. Since you will be standing for multiple hours, you need to make sure that the shoes have excellent ankle support. When you’re standing for an extended time, you will be leaning on both sides, which will put a lot of pressure on your ankles. Ankle support will help you to alleviate any pain you might notice after your six to twelve-hour shift.
5) Minimal heels It’s okay if the shoes have half an inch to three-fourths of an inch heel, but if the shoes have 1 to 2 inches of heels, then it can be extremely uncomfortable. Heels can throw off your center of gravity, which will make it extremely difficult for you to stand for long periods.
6) Neutral colors Completely optional, but since you will be wearing these shoes through your day, we recommend you get neutral colors. The reason why is because they help you with keeping your shoes clean, and they work with most outfits. But it ultimately depends on your work and your preference; neutral colors can be an excellent option for most people.
So here without further adue
Top 10 Best Shoes for Metatarsalgia
1. Saucony Men’s Zealot ISO Running Shoes
Thes shoes are made from new technology, and it is made from amazing material. The way the shoe is set up, it makes it very comfortable on your feet and allows you to stand on your feet for a long time. The shoe is also equipped with a 4 mm heel to toe offset, which makes it extremely comfortable. The cushioning inside and outside of the shoe is excellent; it will provide you with enough support and comfort without suffocating your feet.
The shoe is an improvement from the past models and will provide you with fantastic comfort and results throughout your workday. One thing to consider would be your dress code since these shoes have green and orange accents; they can be unfit to wear in some workspaces. Please review your work dress code before you make the purchase.
2. Brooks Women Adrenaline
These shoes are fantastic if you need a new pair of sneakers for running, or for reducing the symptoms of metatarsalgia. These shoes provide you with the best of both worlds. They have a fantastic sole and grip for running. Plus, they also have amazing arches and foot support, which will allow you to be comfortable when standing for 8-12 hours.
The overall cushioning inside is very soft and breathable since they are equipped with mini holes at the front of the shoes. You can buy these shoes in wider variants. There are options where you can pick a wider pair. You can expect the shoes to kill two birds with one stone, and provide you with fantastic work shoes which you can use for running or other physical activities.
3. Brooks Men’s Ghost 11 Running Shoes
Another great option if you are a male who is looking to buy into the Brooks brands. Brooks knows how to make affordable shoes that keep you comfortable during long periods of standing, and these shoes are no exception.
One of the great things about these shoes is how balanced they are; these shoes provide you with a perfect amount of cushioning and ankle support without it feeling tight. These shoes are very breathable since they have holes in the front of the shoes. One thing we don’t like is the heel. Even though the heel isn’t bad, the shoes would have been much better without the heel. But these shoes do make up for it by providing you with a fantastic grip.
4. Hoka Bondi 5 Women’s Running Shoes
Great shoes for people who want an even elevation. The soles of the shoes are evenly elevated, which means the heels don’t feel as uncomfortable. Plus, the shoe has incredible cushioning inside, which allows you to have a more stable feed positioning when you’re standing for a substantial time.
These shoes are made from 100% synthetic material, which makes it extremely durable and comfortable. To top it all off, the shoes are incredibly lightweight, which means you won’t even feel the weight of the shoes when you are walking around your workplace. The sole of these shoes is very absorbent, and this will allow you to put a lot of pressure on your feet and not get any pain.
5. New Balance Men’s MW928 Walking Shoes
These shoes are fantastic if you want a stylish looking shoe that will provide you with excellent stability and grip during your long shifts. The shoes are made from 100% leather, which means you will have great quality shoes if appropriately maintained. The sole is very cushioned and is very thick, which will allow you to absorb most of the impact when walking on a hard floor.
The inside of the shoe is very well cushioned as well, and it provides you with a snug fit that will keep your ankle stable. Overall this is a fantastic shoe if you want to be comfortable during your work hours and not feel any pain on your foot. The only downfall of these shoes is weight. They can be considered heavy by some people, but if you are standing and not running, it should not matter as much.
6. ASICS Men’ s/Women 33
Since men or women can wear these shoes, they are a fantastic option. You can expect these shoes to be made from a hundred percent synthetic material, which will allow the shoes to last longer and take a lot of damage without breaking.
One fantastic thing about these shoes is the sole. The sole is made from rubber, which allows for a perfect amount of cushioning. The cushioning of the sole is not too soft and not too hard and provides you with a fantastic feeling when walking on a hard floor. The shoes are also made from a lightweight material, which makes your life much easier if you’re walking long-distance during your work hours.
One of the things that are hugely appreciated about these shoes would be the ankle support, it’s great. The grip on these shoes is very well designed for hard flooring, so you can expect it to be slip-proof, ideal for nurses.
7. Skechers Go Walk Joy-15612 Sneaker
These all-white sneakers are fantastic if you want shoes that are comfortable to wear. What’s great about the shoes is that they are slip ons, which means they are straightforward to wear and remove. These shoes are also equipped with a fantastic sole, which provides you with a fantastic grip when standing or walking. These shoes are incredibly lightweight, which is also positive for individuals who don’t like bulky feeling shoes.
The one thing these shoes don’t have is an ample amount of ankle support, there’s still some ankle support, but it isn’t the best in the market. Regardless, we recommend issues if you’re someone who wants a quick and easy sneaker, which feels light and provides you with a fantastic grip.
8. Alegria Women’s Keli Professional
Made from 100% leather, these shoes provide you with a sense of quality, which can only be achieved from some of the most expensive shoes in the market. The sole is made from synthetic material, which provides for a soft cushioning a yet secure grip when walking or standing. These shoes are slip ons, which means they are comfortable to wear and remove.
These shoes also have a suede leather insole, which makes them comfortable when walking or doing any other activities. One thing we don’t like about these shoes would be the ankle support. You can wear these shoes if you are simply going to be standing, but if you are taking part in a fast pace walking, then you might not enjoy these shoes. A great pair of shoes to own, especially if you are required to stand for long periods.
9. Twisted X Men’s Chukka Driving Loafers For Men
A very classy looking shoe. If you’re in the market for a shoe that can be worn for work and casual occasions, while providing you with fantastic grip and stability when standing for long periods, then you have found the right pair of shoes. These shoes are made from genuine leather, which means that if you take care of these shoes properly, you will have a long-lasting pair of shoes. The grip on these shoes is fantastic, a sturdy sole that provides you plenty of grip. Even though the sole is hard, it still provides for a very shock-absorbing sole.
The cushioning underneath is also perfect and has a breathable texture, which allows your foot to stay cool during the long hours. The ankle support on these shoes is excellent; you can expect these shoes to keep you stable even during the most challenging task. Overall a fantastic footwear for men, if they’re looking for stylish footwear which you can wear during work hours.
10. Clarks Women’s Lexi Walnut Q
These shoes are made from a hundred percent leather, so you can expect these shoes to exude a sense of style while providing you with fantastic comfort. These shoes do come with a .5 inch heel, which is good but not ideal. Plus, these shoes have fantastic ankle support, as they have a strap to latch on in the back, which allows your ankle to stay stable.
Cushioning in the sole is excellent; it absorbs most of the pressure and keeps you comfortable during your work hours. The good news is, these shoes come in three different colors to pick from, which means you can find the perfect shoe for your needs. The way these shoes are styled, you can wear the shoes in a more formal setting. Since these shoes don’t look like runners or other sportswear shoes, you can wear them for many occasions without feeling underdressed or overdressed.
The design of the shoes is very well-balanced and allows for an amazingly comfortable shoe without feeling like you are wearing runners all the time. Please note, if you are looking for the most comfortable shoes for standing on a hard surface for long periods, then there are better options. These shoes are suitable for women who are looking to kill two birds with one stone; they are stylish and comfortable while being appropriate for work and other occasions.