Rocker bottom shoes are a newer type of shoe that can help those with decreased mobility in their feet or those suffering from arthritis of the ankle, leg, or feet. These shoes will not heal those ailments, but they can help by providing these individuals with a better range of motion and decreasing their overall pain while moving around.
If you are suffering from limited mobility due to arthritis or other ailments, you might want to consider investing in a pair of rocker shoes. But what rocker shoes are best for you? There are several brands and styles available, but this buyer’s guide will help you decide what to look for when selecting the best pair of rocker bottom shoes.
Top 10 Best Rocker Bottom Shoes for 2020
So, with so many options offered in the market – how do you know which one to choose? With hundreds of models on the market, how can you narrow it down?
Thankfully, we’ve done it for you.
Without further ado – Here are the Top 10 rocker bottom shoes for 2020
1. Skechers Women’s Shape Ups 2.0 – Comfort Stride Fashion Sneaker
Skechers is one of the biggest names in shoe fashion. The brand has been putting out comfortable, aesthetically-pleasing athletic shoes for decades, so it’s not surprising that these Women’s Shape Ups are so popular.
It has a number of features which makes this shoes quite amazing: On the outside there is faux leather which gives it a beautiful look, combined with mesh fabric on the front which adds amazing comfort and breathability – which is extremely important for your feet as it allows flow of fresh air.
You can walk around everywhere in style and supported comfort with these Comfort Stride Fashion sneakers, thanks to features such as memory foam air-cooled cushions, padded collar and tongue, sculpted rubber rocker bottom exterior, kinetic wedge soft foam midsole to help absorb shock, and a firm polyurethane frame that can help you stand on your feet for hours and hours.
No wonder this shoes has become very popular in the US both with runners, non-runners, people with plantar fasciitis. And if you look at the reviews it’s getting a very high score on every large e-commerce site (like amazon, eBay etc.)
You can find these in different colors as well: Charcoal/Pink, Black/White, and Gray/Mint. The design can be described as lace-up athletic casual. and they came with white and gray laces that exactly match the shoe color!
2. Alegria Women’s Paloma Flat
If you like the Mary Jane style, you will definitely find these shoes amazing!
These Paloma flats are Great looking, super comfortable and work great both with pants/leggings or /dresses/skirts, and If you suffer from plantar fasciitis or have joints issue than this is the best shoe you can find!
These Paloma flats are made of 100% leather and have nice adjustable Velcro straps. You can adjust it to fit the top of the foot comfortably, without cutting into the skin.
This is a twist on the traditional Mary Jane style, with the signature Alegria rocker outsole combined with a supportive footbed to ensure a comfortable fit.
It’s available in various colors and patterns, including Black Embossed Rose, Periwinkle, Minnow Rainbow, and Scrub White.
The platform measures approximately 1-inch and the heel measures 1.5-inches. There are removable inserts that can be replaced with new inserts as they wear out.
The only problem I encountered is choosing the right size. If you have a small size than its better to order a normal size, but if you have big feet – you should probably order one size up.
3. Clarks Women’s Wave Trek Sneaker
Clarks is a very popular brand of shoes that has been in business for over a century and known to produce top quality men’s dress shoes so no wonders che Clarks Women’s Wave Trek Sneaker is another great product in the line!
This shoe was made easpecially for customers who spend a lot of time walking and by using the Clarks wavewalkTM technology which is unqiue to Clarks brand and makes that shoes amazingly comfortable.
It has a rocker sole which helps people that suffer from joints problems such as arthritis by supporting the joints. The shoese are lace-up, waterproof ankle shoes with EVA midsoles and innovative, curved design to help you conserve energy while walking. Your feet will always be kept dry thanks to the tough waterproof full-grain leather uppers. And finally there is a (removable) ortholite footbed to enhance comfort.
All these gives the customer a very comfortable and smooth walking experience. One problem though which came up on reviews
is that this show is narrow even when ordering a large size… So if you have width feet you should order at least one size up.
Choose Navy, Black, or Dark Brown Wave Trek Sneakers, for your choice.
4. Altra Women’s Olympus 2 Trail Running Shoe
Many Running shoes are quite uncomfortable because of a small toe box that squeezes your toes, and wide toe-boxed shoe is not common to find. Nevertheless, Altra designed a high quality running shoe with wide toe boxes which makes them extra comfortable, even after standing on your feet for hours. Your toes can relax and spread out naturally in the space these toe box provide.
The cushion is amazing compared for other models and each step is surprisingly low impact. Altra Women’s Olympus 2 is an excellent running shoes reasonably priced with premium features such as 5-mm contoured footbed, Dual layer EVA midsole, and a Vibram outsole.
One feature that is especially important for hikers is it its rubber outsole that makes it grip tightly to slippery surfaces and make it much safer for walking on terrains, mountains and other slippery areas.
These shoes are breathable and great for the summer – so you don’t sweat as you do in waterproof boots, and they don’t get cold if you have a good pair of socks – so they are perfect for winter too!
One problem that we found – common with other shoes – is that size is smaller than expected – in most cases you need to order one size bigger than your size for perfect comfort – So keep that in mind.
5. Hoka Bondi 5 Women’s Running Shoes
Hoka Bondi 5 is an extremely popular running shoe, because beside of the basic features of running shoe it provides such as rubber outsole, mesh uppers and padded tongue it has amazing advanced features.
If you have any kind of ankle problems, plantar fasciitis or metatarsal issues this is by far the best shoe for you as it features a Meta-Rocker midsole with EVA Midsole beneath the foot that gives amazing feeling of comfort and awesome cushioning.
These shoes are lightweight and are extremely supportive and cushioned, giving an amazing feeling which you simply dont have in other shoes.
The upper part is made from a breathable mesh, and an Ortholite (premium material) modeled insole is inside the shoe to offer a plush underfoot feel and extra support. The Bondi 5 also has a more accommodating toe box than previous versions of the Bondi shoes.
Reviews are overwhelmingly positive.
Now, here are the bottom shoes for men:
Best Men’s Rocker Bottom Shoes
1. Skechers Sports Men’s Shape-Ups XT All Day Comfort Sneaker
If you are looking for a shoe that has a winning combination of both beautiful design and incredible comfort than this is the shoe you are looking for.
This model is basically very similar to the women’s version and made 100% from leather / synthetic, and similair to the women’s model it contains
amazing features that make it durable, comfort and classy.
As for comfort – it has an excellent firm-arch and soft heel support and a built-in shock absorber that is implemented by the Sketchers Kinetic Wedge, a soft midsole foam which gives you amazing comfort feeling and allows you to walk distances without any difficulties.
Its also a stable shoe as it also comes with sculpted rubber outsole, specially designed to give you traction and stability. As with other high quality shoes it comes with side ventilation, padded tongue and collar and two part soft and firm density midsole.
The stylish appearance makes these sneakers even more of a must-have for any guy looking for casual rocker bottom soles.
So what’s on the down side? Well many people complained about the size it too small. When you order check the size, and order at least one size up. Other complained that they start to wear out after two years of usage which is reasonable.
2. Drew Shoe Men’s Force Athletic Walking Shoe
Considering its 135-year history, Drew Shoe is a company that has managed to master the science of therapeutic footwear, and provided us high quality comfortable shoes and this shoe – is yet another testimonial to the great shoes it delivers.
This particular pair of athletic walking shoes are 100% leather and is designed to deliver both function and style, whether you order them in shiny white or black leather.
With features like a built-in rocker bottom with a wide shank and a built-in heel cushion pad, you can expect comfort and performance while you work or go for a long walk.
The cushion pad is especially important as it supports the heel and reduce the probability of foot injury. This is especially important for people who engaged in physical activity.
The insoles are Drilex-covered and have AGEIS anti-microbial features to keep the foot feeling fresh and dry. There is a full, rounded toe design for added comfort.
Drew Shoes unparalleled durability comfort and style, and that what customers has noted in their reviews. This shoes is universally recommended by orthotic experts and podiatrists all over the globe.
3. Alegria Men’s Chairman Clogs and Mules Shoes
Guys looking for nice, quality leather clogs or mules might find exactly what they’re looking for with this Alegria pair. This is a super comfortable clog, especially great for people who need to stand up most of the day.
They accommodate some orthotics and feature a suede sockliner, leather lining, and a removable memory-foam cushion. The cushion also includes cork and latex. The slip-resistant polyurethane outsole is engineered to make the rocker walking motion as natural as possible.
These clogs/mules do a good job at keeping your feet dry and free from stauns thanks to the leather lining, which is engineered to pull moisture away while you walk.
This clog is highly recommended for people suffering from lower back pain. With a flatter shoe your back can hurt after 5-10 minutes of standing while with this shoe it can even take a few hours.
Available in Dark Brown or White Tumble, the Alegria Men’s Chairman Clogs look great whether you wear them in the office or during a night out on the town.
As we other shoes we reviewed customer’s advice to buy one size bigger than your own size.
4. Altra Men’s Instinct 4 Running Shoe
If you want to try and do a bit of jogging with a decent pair of rocker bottom shoes, the Altra Men’s Instinct 4 is a great choice. It’s described as a “do-it-all” gym / flat shoe and is intended for low-impact runners who have a more stable arch that does not roll inwards or outwards too much.
This mid-cushioned, 100% synthetic running shoe has features such as a decoupled heel, extra rubber wraps, and an updated upper with engineered mesh to ensure a secure, yet comfortable fit.
This is a great upgrade to the The Altra 3.5 in all aspects, especially the wonderful wide toe box that is Altra’s hallmark. Another upgrade to the 3.5 is that they last longer and are easier to clean mud off due to a better design.
There are plenty of colors to choose from with the Instinct 4, including Royal Blue/Black, Red/White, Black, and Gray/Yellow.
Note: When ordering, err towards a half-size up.
5. MBT Men’s Ajabu Oxford
Masai Barefoot Technology, or MBT, describes their shoes as being “physiological footwear”, which are essentially the first type of shoes that have a positive effect on the entire body, and it’s all thanks to an innovative design which makes it feel as though you are walking barefoot on a sandy beach or springy moss.
The MBT Oxfords have removable insoles so that you have the option to add your own orthotic insoles. However, to fully get the health and exercise benefits that the innovative design offers, the MBT shoes should ideally be worn without orthotics.
There is good durability and traction with the casual robber outsole, and the dual density midsole is designed for extra firmness. This midsole is actually made from nylon and glass fibers.
And finally its has a unqiue MBT Sensor Technology that works with the midfoot sensor to absorb shock, which gives an amazing comfortable feeling, described by users as walking on a sandy beach!
What to Look for When Buying Rocker Bottom Shoes?
So, what should you look for in rocker bottom shoes? Keep reading to find out what aspects to look for in the perfect pair of rocker bottom shoes.
The Rocker Biomechanics
- Rocker bottom shoes allow those with poor sagittal plan rockers to walk despite the injury to their feet.
- Firm rockers are made with a tight, rigid sole that decreases the transverse and frontal plane motion and can allow those with an injured 1st MP joint to conduct movements that would otherwise be impossible.
- Soft rockers are another type of rocker biomechanics. These stop the usage of the internal rocker to protect the injured area. However, soft rockers should not be used long-term because they can decrease mobility over time.
Podiatric Position of the Rockers
- Rocker bottom shoes were typically for those suffering from severe degeneration in the ankle or foot. These shoes were especially great for those suffering from issues with the first MP joint because the rocker bottom can take the place of the foot’s normal sagittal plane rockers.
- Due to this, rocker bottom shoes should only be worn by people that need them. If worn by someone who doesn’t need the extra assistance, rocker bottom shoes can actually weaken muscles and tendons further and result in increased dependence on the shoes to continue walking.
Instability Caused by Rockers
- Rocker bottom shoes feature an elevated heel and toe. This allows them to accomplish muscle toning and strengthening. However, this is accomplished by causing some instability that encourages your leg and foot to work to stabilize your body.
- It is important to note that if you use rocker bottom shoes constantly, it will negatively impact your stability even weeks after you stop wearing the shoes.
- Something else to consider when selecting the best rocker bottom shoe is the design tradeoffs.
- Toe-only rocker bottom shoes might force the midfoot to come under increased pressure, which might cause some discomfort to someone with wider feet.
- Runners with Achilles tendinopathy will appreciate rocker placement in the plantarflexion area but might experience some increased strain on the knee joint.
Type of Rocker Sole
- When choosing a rocker bottom shoe, you should also consider what type of rocker bottom sole is best for you as there are many different types.
- Ankle joint rocker bottom shoes have the thickest part of the rocker under the ankle. This is best for those suffering from ankle arthritis or ankle fusion cases.
- An MTP joint rocker sole is designed to limit the motion of your MP joints. These joints connect your toe bottoms to the rest of the foot. These types of rockers will lift your heel higher and is best for those dealing with arthritis of the forefoot area.
- A negative heel rocker lifts the forefoot up to encourage your gait to use the heel instead of using the toes. Those with a reduced heel will benefit most from this type of rocker sole.
- A double rocker is designed to eliminate pressure on the midfoot. There are rockers located at the heel and forefront of the shoes, and this is best for those with Charcot plantar issues.
- Heel to toe rocker bottom shoes is designed with the thickest part of the sole at the back of the shoe. This causes the heel and toe sections of the foot to lift and is helpful for limiting midfoot and ankle motion. Those with arthritis in the midfoot or ankle will benefit from this type of rocker bottom shoe.
- A forefoot rocker bottom is designed for those with hallux limitus or pain in the ball of their foot. The rocker is placed behind the metatarsal head and reduces pressure on the ball of the foot.
- A toe only rocker boasts an elevated heel that allows for pressure relief and an increased range of motion. This is considered to be one of the best ways to reduce heel pressure and is good for those suffering from any heel issues.
- When selecting a rocker bottom shoe, you should also look for one with shock absorption. If you are dealing with a foot or leg injury, you want to decrease the impact as much as possible.
- A rocker bottom shoe with good shock absorption will limit the impact on your joints and help your body recover faster while also decreasing the pain you experience while moving around.
- Comfort is always important when selecting a shoe and that is no different when looking for a rocker bottom shoe.
- You want to select a shoe that is breathable. This will keep your foot cool and dry while you are walking or running.
- Select a rocker bottom shoe that has a padded tongue and collar as well. This will add some increased comfort to the shoe while you are wearing it.
- A cushioned insole is also important to have in a rocker bottom shoe, or any shoe really! Even better is a shoe with removable insoles so you can insert custom orthotics if you have or need them.
- When buying a rocker bottom shoe, be sure to try them on and walk around. You shouldn’t feel any tightness or pinching in the shoe when walking around. If you do, you should either try a bigger size or look into a different shoe.
- Before you set out searching for the best pair of rocker bottom shoes, you should skim over your finances and see what you can afford.
- Set a budget upfront and be sure to stick with it as you go through the selection process.
You now have a variety of styles and designs to choose from, including casual, sneakers, formal, etc. Since the sizing with many of these rocker bottom shoes can be iffy, it’s best to take the time to read user reviews and look over ratings for each pair that you’re interested in.
The ultimate idea behind any pair of rocker bottom soles is to prevent pain and provide support. For the most part, the pairs on this list do just that. However, there is no one “perfect” pair of shoes for everybody, and there are a few complaints here and there for each one. Just do your research carefully before choosing which ones will be right for your needs.